Teachers of Judgement?

I see a lot of people within the dharma community who have become quite vocal in their judgement of others. Typically it comes down to politics, which seems to have poisoned the minds of many. These are people I once had a lot of respect for, but whose authenticity I now question.

It pains me, to be honest with you.

One of the reasons why I found myself resonating with the Buddhadharma, was its focus on the individual. Only through investigating our own experience will we find answers. We apply what we learn to daily life, and in a way that benefits not only ourselves, but our communities as a whole. In benefiting our community, we can begin to benefit the world at large.

Seeing self-proclaimed teachers spewing bile on social media really gives me, as the kids say, that big think. Don't get me wrong, I am all for people being able to voice their opinions. Especially when I completely disagree with them. That's what free speech is all about. What I object to is the blatant hypocrisy, and seeing behaviours more consistent with political activism than the dharma.

People who tell others not to judge people are themselves as judgmental as any other human being. This betrays their self-created position as an authority and sets a poor example to their students. 

'Teachers' who act in a way that is not in line with what they teach are, quite simply, liars and frauds. How can you possibly expect anyone to view you with respect, when you are so quick to judge others?

As the Buddha said to Migsala: “How do you know the complexity of human character?” and “whoever judges others digs a pit for themselves.”

Why do so-called teachers believe that they are in any position to judge anyone else? Most of these opinions they spout are literally word-for-word repetition of what they've read on Twitter, or heard on mainstream media. Again, this actually makes my heart ache because all I can see from them is a ball of hatred and anger.

I understand that the world is in chaos right now. I understand and agree that many injustices need to be addressed. I understand that there are people in power who have no business being there.

What I don't understand is why you think your opinion, or mine, on any of this is correct?

Why do you, as someone who claims insight into emptiness, believe that your view could even be remotely correct?

For me, I literally cannot take any political position. The way my mind functions doesn't appear to allow it any more. I call myself a political atheist. I really couldn't give a tuppeny fart about anyone's opinions or what they think should happen. To be honest, those who claim that their view is correct or that “things would be different if I was in charge” are exactly the sort of people who should never, ever be given power!

I deliberately removed myself from anything political online, because I see so much stupidity on all sides. All I see are a bunch of primates, howling at one another. Shit-throwing simians, each as deluded as the next (and yes, I include myself in this) and believing that their viewpoint is the only true view.

A quote that seems rather pertinent right now is this: “The road to hell is paved with good intentions.”

You think you're “doing the right thing”?

Think you're “on the right side of history”?

Think again.

History shows us where these ideologies lead.

The sublime Buddhadharma is the only antidote to this poison.


Help yourself to my free e-books on concentration and mindfulness.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Methods of Awakening - Access Concentration

Methods of Awakening - Stop! Jhana Time

Did You Get Your Free Book?